Super moist, light and fluffy sponge cake recipe from our Vegan Life kitchen. Easy to make, no refined sugars plus GF. Will keep for 3 days in the fridge, its a good idea to wrap the cake with foil if you are not eating the same day as this stops the cake from drying out in the fridge.
- 2 and 3/4 cups of buckwheat flour
- 1 large tbsp of baking powder and 1 large tbsp of bicarb of soda
- 1/2 Cup of Vegan Milk mixed with 1/2 cup fizzy water to make up to 1 cup (I used Soya Vanilla milk)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil (I used cold pressed)
- 1/2 cup of blended date paste or maple syrup
- 1 Cup of fruit juice (any juice works well, I used orange juice)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Add the flour to one large bowl. In a second bowl add the oil, syrup and juice.
Slowly alternate by adding a little of the flour, then a little of the milk to the oil and syrup. Whisk to blend the ingredients together. When all the flour and milk have been added to the oil and blended well together add the tsp of apple cider vinegar and whisk briskly for several minutes.
Add your sponge batter to 2 two greased 9″ sponge spring form round pans and bake in the oven 170 C for 35 mins or until tops are golden and feel springy. Turn out when cool.
In your blender add 200g of nuts, cashews work well as do hazelnuts, add dates to sweeten 3-5 depending on taste, you can also add vanilla or cinnamon for flavour, then add a little water to cover the nuts. Blend until you have a good frosting consistency. Spoon over the top and centre of the two sponges and layer with fruits on the top.
2 thoughts on “Light & Fluffy Sponge Cake Recipe Vegan & GF”
Cake looks fab….will give it a go! Hope you are all well! Pauline x
Will try this ,looks yum